1. Overexposure: Sydney is probably the second gayest city in the world (after San Francisco). There are pretty, muscled men everywhere always aiming to punch above their weight and the relentless beach culture exposes thousands of bulging Speedos on a daily basis. Sydney's gay population know what's out there and they know it's good. They are overexposed to men.
2. Culture of Sex: Sydney's gay scene seems to thrive on a culture of sex- not friendship or support. Sex clubs seem to be everywhere and the gay population is mostly driven by one thing: getting laid. Sex isn't the only thing gay men have in common.
3. Lack of Civil Rights: Perhaps I'm delusional, but I believe if society supports gay relationships, gay men will be more willing to have these relationships also. Australia is STILL lacking in gay marriage and civil partnership rights. Society won't embrace committed relationships so gay men won't either.
4. Fear of Monogamy: Although this is by no means a Sydney-specific issue, I believe the vast majority of Sydney's gay population have chronic monogamy-phobia. They don't want to have one partner when thousands of gay men are queuing around the block for sex. Most gay relationships I know here seem to be 'open' or their partners are sleeping around. Sad but true.
And, just for fun, here's a few sexy lifesavers in Speedos for your enjoyment.
I've lived in Sydney for two years after living in London which I thought was quite ruthless. But I agree with you 100%.
ReplyDeleteYou think Sydney-siders are better daters than Londoners?
ReplyDelete