Thursday, January 28, 2010

Date: The natural networker


Spark: 7/10
Intellectual connection: 9/10
Physical appeal: 8/10
Date rating: 8/10

Some people are just natural networkers: they walk into a room and within about 20 minutes they know everyone by their first names and exactly what favours and connections they can obtain through their new-found contacts. Yes, it's a rare skill but in my opinion it is one of the only life skills worth developing. Jack, my Sunday afternoon date, was a star networker who put me to shame. Sydney's gay population seem to have networking down-pat. LA is the only city I can think of that rivals Sydney in its networking abilities.

Predictably, I first met Jack on Grindr. We hit it off instantly on our iPhone chat and, both being marketing professionals, we seemed to have quite a bit in common. Jack and I agreed to meet after I looked at a hideous little terrace in Surry Hills (yes, I'm moving). He suggested we meet at The Beresford for a drink. Beer was (naturally) the beverage of choice.
When I first saw Jack in the bar at The Beresford I have to confess to being pleasantly surprised. He had a warm smile and floppy sandy-coloured hair that covered his forehead. Perhaps the nicest thing about him, however, was his incredible ability to make conversation. It was nice to finally go on a date with someone and not flounder in desperation to make talk. He had this remarkable ability of coming across as deeply interested in everything that came out of my mouth (even though it's unlikely he was interested in the slightest).

We chatted at The Beresford for about two or three hours. We talked marketing, food, bars, Sydney, foreign cinema- we seemed to connect on lots of levels. He stole several of my cigarettes and we briefly chatted to a hideously tall drag queen dressed in a rather unflattering pink bikini. It was a fun afternoon. We both laughed a lot.

Jack had organised dinner with his parents that evening. Both slightly drunk, we stumbled out of the hotel, gave each other a quick hug goodbye and made our ways home.

Whether it would turn into a friendship or something more, I wasn't sure. What I did know is that I would most certainly see Jack again.

RULE #28: When your date wants to be in control of the conversation, relax and enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Very much enjoying your blog.

    I also write a blog about my little adventures in gay Sydney. It's on my twitter page.

    Cheers, Salacious Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Visited your blog, enjoyed it a lot. A tad more debaucherous than mine perhaps! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete